The Gilded Serpent presents...
I have 15 years of belly dance training with several Bay Area instructors. Solo dance experience includes the Casbah and Marrakech Palace in San Francisco and Shaherazade in Jack London Square. Other performances include various troupes in the Bay Area, as well as solo and duet appearances at various fund-raising events.
Articles on Gilded Serpent by or about Nisima
- 7-25-06 Freedom From Choreography: A Lucy Report
Lucy certainly did “Free me”! ...
- 12-9-05 Noshing around the Bay
On Neran's first visit back to Bay Area a year after relocating to Knoxville, Tennesee she announced to Nisima, "there are no and I mean no Middle Eastern restaurants in Knoxville; let's go to as many as we can while I'm here.
- 5-26-04 Dance Festival or Shop-a-thon?
Shukriya, can you hear me now?
- 11-9-04 Sunday Afternoon at the Desert Dance Festival '04
Consequently, I was a very popular girl all day as vendors called out to me to visit and talk. After all, I was a bona-fide Actual Audience Member.
- 5-15-03 Professional vs. Amateur: What is the Difference?
There are dancers of every gradation in between the two labels of “professional” and “amateur”: dancers who work at dance jobs intermittently, or have part time jobs in addition to regular performances.
- Critiquing, the “Agony & The Ecstasy”
It’s an unnerving experience to be “critiqued” by your peers, but my personal opinion then and now is that when you perform in public, critiquing just goes with the territory of performing.
- “My Adventures in the Big Apple”
So there was really a “mystique” in the 1980’s about dancing styles in other parts of the US, and especially about the New York style, so different from what we were used to in the Bay Area.
- A Rose by Any Other Name.......Is this an identity crisis?
"...but was truly mortified all the same and swore me to absolute secrecy"
- "Come with me to the Casbah"
...flung me right into her husband's lap, yelling, "Kiss her Henry...